Message Title: Maundy Thursday
Theme: Holy Week
RCL Scripture: Exodus 12:1-4, (5-10), 11-14; Psalm 116:1-2, 12-19; 1 Corinthians 11:23-26; John 13:1-17, 31b-35
Focus: The actions we engage in tonight are rooted in the history and promises of God.
Function: To find new connections in Communion and Washings.
- In the fellowship hall, the lights are dark. The room is lit by candles on the table.
- The table is shaped in a cross with black table cloths.
- On the table: loaves of bread, pitchers of grape juice, and the hand washing supplies.
Welcome & Instructions: Welcome to Maundy Thursday. Maundy can be translated in two different ways – Holy or Mandate. This Holy Thursday reminds us of the mandate or commandment Jesus gave his disciples as he washed their feet. We’re going to walk through some scripture & lessons together and then dive into some acts of remembrance.
First, we’ll start out with prayer.
Prayer: Gracious God, Thank you for this evening in the midst of the winds. We pray we feel your presence blow into this place. Bless this time we set aside to look at your scripture and to act out our remembrance of your goodness. May we be transformed by your truth. Amen.
Scriptures & Teachings: On the night that Jesus and his disciples got together to share their Passover meal, they disciples thought this was just another Passover with Jesus. They would have had two previous Passover meals with Jesus but this time everything was different.
- Exodus 12:1-14 The Passover
- Instructions on the door
- Instructions on the meal
- Keep it as a festival to remember for each generation
- (Psalm 116 “the cup of salvation”)
- Paul’s instructions on Communion
- Background: Corinthians were using the communion table as a place for showing off their wealth. The wealthy & elite would get drunk off of the wine and stuff themselves with the bread, while the poor and destitute would get none.
- Paul describing the Last Supper
- Bread “do this to remember me”
- Cup “do this to remember me”
- Every time you participate in communion you are pointing to God’s promise
- Foot washing & New Commandment
- Pt 1
- Passover was coming
- Foot washing
- Peter’s resistance
- Jesus washed Judas’ feet
- Do as I have done
- Humility & service are the pathway of disciples
- Pt 2 New Commandment
- Love as I have loved you.
- Pt 1
Actions of Remembrance:
- Play music during this time
- Washing each other’s hands- start in 2 spots- top and bottom of cross
- Soap & dry
- Blessing- You are loved by God. Love as I have loved you.