A while back, I made my husband a pair of pajama pants out of some spare flannel I had… because I’m a fabric hoarder. These pants are HUGE btw… like JNCO jeans huge, which was unintentional, but he loves them, anyway. Recently, Josh asked for a top to go with it.
In pursuit of a top that would jive with the giant pants, I searched around on the internet but couldn’t find anything exactly like what I envisioned. So, I made it up.
I had a ton of spare fleece lying around and used my SCA background to make a plan. This would be similar to a basic t-tunic- think “viking” era shirt. T-Tunics were typically made with a natural fiber like linen. They were used by men and women, depending on length. They were layered with other garments and frequently had beautiful decorative trim or embroidery. (I am not an expert on the history of t-tunics. These details aren’t even the reader’s digest.)
A fleece tunic blanket is born!
The original plan was to make it an actual robe, open in the front. However, when Josh tried on the initial design, he wanted it left closed with a few modifications:
- binding around the neckline
- finished hem at arms
- slits at bottom for ease of movement
I was originally planning on skpping most of these finishing items because it’s fleece which doesn’t typically frey. But adding those details did make a finished product. I have not installed pockets yet but the photo below is the current finished product. He’s in love!
I am NOT an expert sew-est. This was just a fun and silly product made without a pattern and using what I had lying around. An expert would easily look at this photo and see 1000 ways to improve.
I’ll also add a silly photo of me in my “walking taco” outfit as tax for my husband letting me post this photo of him. I turned a tortilla blanket into a poncho by cutting a slit in the middle and added my tortilla sweats. Perfect gaming outfit.
Have a great day!